May Meeting: Carl Franklin Presents "Getting into the Zone"
Written by Craig Bossie on Thursday, May 21, 2015
Developers are just as distracted as everyone else, but it's more of a problem for us because it takes us so long to recover from distraction. Let's look at the science and come up with a comprehensive plan to minimize distraction, create a safe environment, and take back control of our mind's ability to focus when we need to.
About Carl Franklin
Carl Franklin has been a leader in the VB community since the very early days when he wrote for Visual Basic Programmers Journal. He authored the Q&A column of that magazine as well as many feature articles for VBPJ and other magazines. He has authored two books for John Wiley & Sons on sockets programming in VB, and in 1994 he helped create the very first web site for VB developers, Carl & Gary's VB Home Page.
Carl is also the Microsoft Regional Director for Connecticut, an MVP for Kinect and co-host of .NET Rocks!
Carl is the creator of GesturePak, the first gesture recognition library for Microsoft Kinect for Windows. GesturePak records your motion as you create gestures, then notifies your app when your user has performed one or more of your gestures.
Carl is also an accomplished musician and audio/video producer. He started Pwop in 1999 as a record label for his first album, a collaboration with his brother Jay: Strange Communication. Franklin Brothers released Lifeboat To Nowhere in 2011, which has met with rave reviews. Carl is working on a new solo album, Been a While, which offers a tune featuring John Scofield on guitar, as well as an incredible group of musicians local to New London, CT.
Pwop Studios is now a full-service audio and video post production studio in New London, CT, where Carl records and produces the podcasts as well as music and video projects - both for himself, Franklin Brothers, and the public.
- Although the event is free, you need to have a ticket to attend the event. This ensures that we have a large enough space and enough food.
- Parking is free in the parking garage.
- Pizza and sodas generously provided by Base36.
- Space generously provided by the USM Computer Science Department.
- Casco Bay .NET Users Group meetings are non-solicitation events. Sponsors are given a few minutes to speak about their company and services at the beginning of each event. Attendees are asked to refrain from soliciting business.